name: kat
zodiac: virgo/snake
location: berklee college of music
likes: music, cats, video games, tea, piano, and you.

links
/Biao Jie /Biao Mei /Abi /Kai /Jo /Mabel /Adam /Deb /ShiChun /Jaslyn /SP Jazzband /My Myspace



{+}-{+}-{+}-{+}







{+}-{+}-{+}-{+}


STAND UP FOR SINGAPORE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friday, February 15, 2008

So, yesterday was Valentine's Day. And also my first day at work where I did something remotely related to my course! Hooray! Our boss told the 3 of us we'd all be going out of the office (to different places) for a change. Xinyi and Vivian went to do computer maintenance at St Margaret's, and I was gonna go to the sound engineer/AV guy's office to help him finish something.

Task: I was shown the lead sheet for Stand Up for Sgp, and I had to simplify the rhythm (there were LOTS of triplets) and make it "In a Swing Style". Sounds easy, yes? Well, it would have been, but there were some problems. First, they wanted it done in Sibelius (like Finale but with more features). That's ok, I'm fine with learning new software.

Second problem: the formatting of the file was completely wrong! It was supposed to be 4/4, yet somehow it kept on inserting or deleting beats and refusing to let me change it. When I first saw it, I thought it was some Dream Theater song (until I saw the title -.-)

Spent the 2 hours struggling to try and learn how to use and therefore fix it. It wasn't that difficult to learn, but since the file was messed up I couldn't get much stuff done. The guy then came over, and once he saw how little I'd done, I got big a scolding/lecture cos apparently the thing was due the next day.

So, then there were 2 options: Sit and emo, or Persevere and give myself a headache and worse eyesight.

And since I had stuff at stake (e.g. grades), sitting around is not a good thing to do ><. Fortunately, it took me only a while more to discover a way to get past the crappy formatting, and from there it was all good. AV guy came to see my progress and this time he was pretty impressed. Phew.

And all the computer problems I had in school really taught me the most important computer skill: SAVE. Save your work every 5 minutes, if you can. Keep ctrl+S-ing. Savesavesave cos you never know when your comp will crash.

It happened a while after I'd finished the piece, cos I accidentally clicked the mouse on the Help section. It was too much for the computer, and it quit on me. Pretty ironic, since AV guy was on the phone chatting to his colleage on how they were saved by the free labour. But sinced I'd SAVED nothing was lost and I didn't waste an entire afternoon's work.

Even though I finished working, I was stuck at his office for another hour waiting for my supervisor to come pick us ITP-ers up. In the end AVguy just gave me 10 bucks and told me to catch a cab. Blah not much for overtime pay. Took a bus back so I could keep the free money.

.................Losing my train of thought-.- Well, today was pretty boring, since my 2 coursemates got to go out to do work, while I was stuck surfing for prices. But TGIF! I can finally sleep in and relac. Maybe will go with ben to the Timezone tomorrow. I 've developed a liking for shooting games. Must....kill stuff......=B


Can-of-Coke {author} posted at: 6:23 AM

0 comments



{+}-{+}-{+}-{+}